Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Montoursville, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Airmen HVAC Service can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Airmen HVAC Service in Montoursville a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 570-322-3131 or arrange an appointment with us online.