Spring is in the air here in Montoursville and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Airmen HVAC Service team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Airmen HVAC Service in Montoursville a call at 570-322-3131.