According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to reach out to Airmen HVAC Service in Montoursville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Airmen HVAC Service. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Examining your system regularly and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Montoursville home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Airmen HVAC Service at 570-322-3131 or schedule an appointment online.